Friday, March 1, 2013

Bird House Fun!


Last week, we continued working on Achievement 5 Tools for Fixing and Building and Elective 13 Birds  for Wolves and made bird houses.  We are continuing to work on our World Conservation Award.

Carpentry is definitely not my strong suit so I reached out to my Cub Scout families and found a dad who was into carpentry.  I gave him a plan and he had a prototype complete the next day and a son who was so excited to have made a bird house with his dad.  As a leader, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.  When you reach an activity that may fall into your weakness category, this is the best time to reach out to your families or outside resources. 

I found the plans for the birdhouse at my local library, but there are also great resources online.  We recommend precutting and drilling holes for the boys prior to the meeting and making sets for each boy.  The boys assembled the bird houses hammering and sanding the pieces which was a perfect amount for our meeting time.  Be sure to have safety goggles (kids' sizes available at your local big box hardware store) available for each child.  I have added these items to my leader box for future projects.  Each child brought their own hammer.  When doing this activity with older scouts, you may want to leave more for them to do.

This activity is also appropriate for:
Bear Achievement 5: Sharing Your World With Wildlife
Webelos Actvity Badge: Craftsman

No comments:

Post a Comment